Pages

Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year's Eve 2015







A very pleasant and low key New Year's Eve was had at the Nicholas household this year. Son #1 and I started off the evening by organizing my huge collection of spices, doesn't get more low key than that. All of the grocery stores have bulk spice bins and I wind up with little bags of spices stuffed in the cabinet where they are promptly forgotten about. This mason jar system has worked the best, but I still have to occasionally consolidate all the little spice bags lurking in the cabinet. 

Once the kiddos went to bed, I finished reading The Chimes, it is a Charles Dickens book that takes place on New Year's Eve. It just seemed appropriate to finish it on the 31st. It also seemed like an accomplishment to finish a book, even if said book only consisted of four chapters.

On to wassail. For the last 5 years, we have wanted to make wassail and this year WE FINALLY DID IT! We used this recipe, and it was tasty, kind of odd, but tasty. And of course, we had to listen to songs about drinking wassail, while actually drinking wassail. I barely made it to midnight, but Maximus made sure I did and at the stroke of midnight, he was sure to have all the doors and windows open to usher out the old year and to welcome in the new. A fun little tradition, but I was excited to then shut all open doors and windows and hunker down by the heater before retiring to bed. Babies don't know that mamas stay up late on New Year's Eve, and they don't mind waking them at all hours of the night. But my, how I love that baby. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment